There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Poetry and Joketry!!!

I love reading. I read anything and everything (nonfiction, biography, poetry, cookbooks, shampoo bottles, cereal boxes…the list goes on!) but my true love is fiction (sorry, husband, that you had to find this out on the web!). I have no favorite genre; it just depends what I feel like reading in the moment. 
But sometimes when I’m trying to relax and read for fun, it turns into work. Like when I’m reading a particularly excellent children’s book, I’ll be impressed by how the author handled a sensitive situation, marvel at how much I care about the characters and believe in them, and wonder how the author makes me guffaw- yes, guffaw. Then I go back and read the passage again paying closer attention to the pacing, tone, word choice, etc. The pleasure of reading gets somewhat diminished when my writer’s brain won’t shut off!
I’m learning it’s true what they say: writers are always working even when they’re not!
On that note, I’m grateful that today is All Fools’ Day. I’m remembering to lighten up, take a break, a REAL break, and not be so serious all the time, especially with my writing and reading.
So today while eating breakfast, I read my book for fun and did NOT re-read any parts with my writer’s brain. I simply enjoyed the story and didn’t think about my own writing at all. And after I post this, I’m going to read Shel Silverstein poetry in honor of April Fools' AND National Poetry Month. (A big shout-out to any poets out there! April is yours :)
Though writing poetry isn’t my thing, I do keep a yellow notebook just for poetry. I started the notebook on Jan. 18, 2007 and I’m only about half-way through it! The last time I wrote any poetry was April 30, 2009! That was the last day of Robert Lee Brewer's April Poem-A-Day Challenge
This year I’m participating in the PAD challenge again. Writing poetry helps break up the monotony of my normal routine writing fiction. It’s fun and exciting writing something completely different than I normally do. I’m most comfortable writing fiction, which is another reason the challenge helps me not take myself so seriously- it’s easy to lighten up when you’re writing a limerick about martians or an ode to a bug! And later when it was time to get back to my fiction, I looked at my story with fresh eyes and a new perspective.
I hope you all have a goofy-doofy funtastic day! Cheers to jokes, poetry, pleasure reading, and the 2010 Poem-A-Day Challenge!!!
“I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.”  ~Jack Handey

“It is the ability to take a joke, not make one, that proves you have a sense of humor.”  ~Max Eastman

“Always be a poet, even in prose.” ~Charles Baudelaire

"Draw a crazy picture, 
Write a nutty poem, 
Sing a mumble-gumble song, 
Whistle through your comb. 
Do a loony-goony dance 
'Cross the kitchen floor, 
Put something silly in the world 
That ain't been there before." 
~Shel Silverstein
Share with me!
What do you do to lighten up and not take writing so seriously? How are you celebrating April Fools' and National Poetry Month? And I’d love to hear you favorite jokes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your poetry has already brought joy to my heart . Thank you for the gift not so many years ago. :)

Laura Marcella said...

It was a joy making it for you! I was so proud of myself, haha.