The obvious place to find character names is probably a baby name book. Well, I certainly don’t use one. Here’s why: 1) It would freak me out, and 2) I already endure enough when-are-you-having-a-baby questions and don’t need a baby book laying around adding fuel to that fire (clichés are okay in blog posts, right?!). So I look elsewhere for character names!
1. Graduation Programs. I keep the programs from high school and college graduations. They’ve provided me with terrific names. Subcategory: Yearbooks are a good place to find names, too, especially if your story is in a specific decade.
2. Phone Book. I actually feel like an idiot for not thinking of this one on my own. Someone else mentioned she finds character names in the phone book, and I did a mental head slap: DUH! But during these days of cell phones and instant online communication, the phone book lay forgotten in my desk. No longer! It’s with my writing stuff now.
3. Stationery Catalogues & Websites. Don’t recycle those stationery catalogues too quickly! The photos of envelopes, address labels, cards, paper, and everything else in the catalogues are personalized with first and last names (and fake addresses if you want a street name idea). Also check out stationery websites!
4. Film/TV Credits. If you need an unusual or unique name, definitely check out movie or television episode credits. Super interesting names exist in the entertainment industry! You’ll find regular names, too, but a name like Laura isn’t considered “cool” in Hollywood. (Random Trivia: Reese Witherspoon’s real first name is Laura.)
5. Book/CD Acknowledgments. Checking out the acknowledgment pages in novels and the “thank you” sections in CDs yields some great names. It’s not as abundant as the ideas mentioned above, but it’s still been a useful name resource for me.
If you don’t want to bother reading the following game and awards (though I hope you do because I’ve linked fabulous blogs you should definitely check out!), go right to the comments and share how you find your character names! I’d like to get more ideas; there can never be too many places to search for the perfect character name. :)
Now for the fun stuff: a game and awards!
Last Friday, Jemi tagged me to reveal more secrets about myself. Oooh la la! I answer 5 questions 5 times, so here it goes:
Question 1 - Where were you five years ago?
1. In Super Happy Land because I finished freshman year of college with honors and had 4 long months to spend with my wonderful boyfriend. (He’s my husband now!)
2. Living with my amazing parents. (Happy Mother’s Day to the best mommy everrr!!!)
3. Working at Rita’s Water Ice for my 4th year. I don’t care much for water ice anymore.
4. Oooing and ahhhing over my first nephew!
5. Planning my first trip to Disney World with a friend.
Question 2 - Where would you like to be five years from now?
1. Living in a stone house with an in-ground pool. And since I’m dreaming, owning a couple zebras would be cool!
2. Published. But I probably didn’t need to tell you that, did I?
3. Maybe thinking about babies.
4. Celebrating 7 years of happy marriage!
5. Vacationing on a tropical island… or Europe... or Prince Edward Island. I’m not picky. :o)
Question 3 - What is (was) on your to do list today?
1. Exercise. (Check.)
3. Write. (Check.)
4. More writing. (After my blogging break!)
5. Laundry at my parents’ and playing with my sister’s kids! (Yay, fun!)
Question 4 - What 5 snacks do you enjoy?
3. Peanut butter & raisins on celery
4. Apples & cheese (or apples & peanut butter)
5. Grapes...actually, any fresh fruit. I love fruit almost as much as chocolate!
Question 5 - What would you do if you were a billionaire?
1. Give millions to my parents and my parents-in-law.
2. Give millions to my siblings and my siblings-in-law.
3. Give millions to retinitis pigmentosa research, cancer research, and to schools lacking basic amenities like up-to-date books.
4. Travel the world.
5. ...and because hubby would insist, invest the rest and live off the interest!
That was fun! I’m tagging two zigzaggers I’ve “known” since the beginning of my blogging adventure, Roxane Beauclair Salonen and Bluestocking, and two new zigzaggers, Julie Dao and Matthew Rush. I'm looking forward to knowing you better!
I’ve received a bunch of awards the past few weeks and I’m finally getting around to passing them on. Thanks, everyone, for the blog awards; they’re fun to receive! I really appreciate all my followers!!! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy reading your comments so thanks for brightening my days! :)
I received the A is for Awesome Blogger Award from T.J. Carson and I'm passing it on to:
I received the Lovely Blog Award from Alexandra Crocodile and I'm passing it on to:
I received the Sunshine Blog Award from Hannah aka Palindrome and I'm passing it on to:
I received the Awesomesauce Award from Hannah aka Palindrome and I'm passing it on to:
I received the Sugar Doll Award from Talli Roland and I'm passing it on to:
I received the Superior Scribbler Award from T.J. Carson and I'm passing it on to:
Be sure to check out these fabulous blogs! Have a sunshiney weekend, blog buddies!
Share with me!
Where/How do you find names for your characters?
To all the amazing moms (especially you writer moms!) in the blogosphere: Have a fabulous Mother’s Day!!!