There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday Quote Day!

On Inspiration
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."  ~Albert Einstein
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."  ~Jack London
On Instruction
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader–not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon."  ~E.L. Doctorow
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."  ~Tom Clancy
"I always stopped when I knew what was going to happen next. That way I could be sure of going on the next day."  ~Ernest Hemingway
"So this is always the key: you have to write the book you love, the book that's alive in your heart. That's the one you have to write."  ~Lurlene McDaniel
On Revision
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. You can always do it better, find the exact word, the apt phrase, the leaping simile." ~Robert Cormier
"The great thing about revision is that it's your opportunity to fake being brilliant." ~Will Shetterly
On Ideas
"We don't write what we know. We write what we wonder about." ~Richard Peck
"Moving around is good for creativity: the next line of dialogue that you desperately need may well be waiting in the back of the refrigerator or half a mile along your favorite walk." ~Will Shetterly
On Perseverance
"You will have to write and put away or burn a lot of material before you are comfortable in this medium. You might as well start now and get the work done. For I believe that eventually quantity will make for quality." ~Ray Bradbury
"The mere habit of writing, of constantly keeping at it, of never giving up, ultimately teaches you how to write." ~Gabriel Fielding
On Characters
"Plot springs from character... I've always sort of believed that these people inside me–these characters–know who they are and what they're about and what happens, and they need me to help get it down on paper because they don't type." ~Anne Lamott
"When characters are really alive before their author, the latter does nothing but follow them in their action." ~Luigi Pirandello
On Beginnings & Endings
"If I didn't know the ending of a story, I wouldn't begin. I always write my last line, my last paragraph, my last page first." ~Katherine Anne Porter
"Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
On Writing for Children
"You must write for children the same way you write for adults, only better."  ~Maxim Gorky
"You have to write whichever book it is that wants to be written. And then, if it's going to be too difficult for grown-ups, you write it for children."  ~Madeleine L'Engle 
"A kid is someone I never wrote down to. He's interested in what I say if I make it interesting."  ~Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
"Most new writers think it's easy to write for children, but it's not. You have to get in a beginning, middle and end, tell a great story, write well, not be condescending–all in a few pages." ~Andrea Brown

To Amuse
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." ~William Somerset Maugham
"When I was a young boy they called me a liar. Now that I'm all grown up, they call me a writer." ~Isaac Singer
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  ~Groucho Marx

Share with me!
Do you agree/disagree with the writers’ insights? Have you applied any of these suggestions to your own writing?

13 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

I love these! Thanks!

Shilpa said...

I so agree with Katherine Anne Porter on Beginnings and Endings. I have my plot ready and currently working on constructing the ending first.
I think i will follow Ernest Hemingway on Instruction.
Thanks for sharing Laura!!!

Anna said...

So many great quotes! My favorite, though, is the Groucho Marx one. I needed a laugh this morning. :-)

Palindrome said...

oooh I like so many of these! I'm going to write them down.

catwoods said...

I agree with Anna. Groucho made me anything but. Thanks for the inspiring words and the great chuckle.

from a liar turned writer~ cat

Tahereh said...

love love love these quotes.

such a boost!

<333

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

"When I was a young boy they called me a liar. Now that I'm all grown up, they call me a writer." ~Isaac Singer

LOVE that one.
Great quotes. :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I love quotes and you've listed some really great ones. Tom Clancy's and Anne Lamott's are two of my favorites.

DL Hammons said...

These are great!! I'm bookmarking this post for future reference. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So many great ones to choose from...

Sandy Shin said...

These are some really great quotes. Love L'Engle one. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome quotes again! I use the first 2 all the time :)

Laura Marcella said...

Christine- You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Shilpa- I like knowing my endings, too. And I have taken Hemingway's advice, and it works! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Anna- That one always makes me laugh, too. :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Palindrome- Yay, I'm glad you found these useful!

Cat- You're welcome, and nice use of the Singer quote, lol!

Tahereh- I'm glad you liked them!!!

Karen- Me, too! It's classic!

Jane- Me, too! Anne's makes so much sense, with plot being made from characters, and Clancy is absolutely right- sometimes the things that do or can happen in real life seem unbelievable on paper, haha!

DL- I'm glad you found a bunch of these useful!

L.Diane- I know, I love them all!

Sandy- Me, too, she's awesome. Loved her books as a kid and I still do!

Jemi- Yes, those are great! I love the idea of going after inspiration with a weapon like I'm ready win the battle, lol!