There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Friday, July 1, 2011

Creating Dreams for Others

"I spend almost no time thinking about the worth of my writing. And none at all in daydreams about the wealth I’ll have when someone makes a movie from my bestseller. Writing is what I do. It is the profession I have taken for myself. I do not see it as a literary lottery to be played when I feel like it; I know I will make it big simply because I’ve written some words on some pages. I write 10 pages every working day, or more some days, but quality can suffer from great speed. …

"The pages get better with each book. Maybe that is the way to find a publisher. Write long enough and some skill will come, and publishers will pay for skill. It is not the thing that dreams are made of, but writing is creating dreams for others. For the writer, it is his work. And work worth doing. Well."
{From an article by G. Scott Wright Jr., The Writer, April 1976; reprinted in The Writer April 2006}
My favorite sentence from the above quote is this: It is not the thing that dreams are made of, but writing is creating dreams for others. This sentence glows because I was a voracious reader before I was a writer. It was reading that made me want to be a writer when I was very little. I loved books and stories so much that writing my own was a natural step. 
There are hundreds of incredible books and authors who have created dreams for me, who created my biggest dream of becoming a writer. And for that I thank you, the Writer, for doing what you do every day: putting some words on some pages. It’s valuable work, and delightful play.
May your dreams come true soon! And when they do, may you discover new worthwhile dreams to pursue. Happy writing and happy weekend, Zigzaggers!!!


To my Canadian neighbors: Happy Canada Day!!!
And to those in the USA: HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY weekend!!! Have a safe, fun, and firecracking fabulous holiday!

16 comments:

BellaVida said...

"creating dreams for others"

I never thought of it like that before. It's a nice perspective.

Bella Vida by Letty
Have a great weekend.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Its a great way of putting things in perspective, Laura. Have a wonderful weekend.

Matthew MacNish said...

This is awesome, Laura, thanks! Love it.

Teresa aka Journaling Woman said...

That's a great mindset for a writer!

Summer Ross said...

This quote was fabulous! I'm really looking forward to fireworks!

mooderino said...

Good quote, and you're right, reading is where it starts.

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino

Lynn said...

Great quote, Laura. Thank you for sharing and pefect timing for me as I venture from short story to novel. Have a wonderful long weekend.

koralee said...

Sending you some 4th of July love. Thank you so much for your faithful comments. HUGS

Shelley Sly said...

That's a very inspiring quote! Thanks so much for sharing, and hope you enjoy the holiday weekend!! :)

Laura Marcella said...

Bella- I think so too!

Rachna- I hope you're having a wonderful weekend too!

Matthew- You're welcome! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Teresa- I think so too!

Summer- Oooo, so am I!!!

Mood- I agree! I can't imagine being a writer without being a reader too.

Lynn- Good luck venturing into the novel! I like short stories, but novels are my favorite for sure! Enjoy your weekend. :)

Koralee- Thank you! Hope you had a wonderful Canada Day!!!

Shelley- You're welcome! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend too!

Clara Gillow Clark said...

Thank you for this uplifting post and for your fabulous good wishes to all of us! Happy INDEPENDENCE DAY to you, too, Laura Marcella! I wish all those good things to you, too!

Jemi Fraser said...

That's awesome! I fell into writing because of my love of reading too!

Happy 4th - hope it's as fun as our 1st was! :)

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

That's an awesome quote! Writing is creating dreams for others. I'm going to remember that. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

ali said...

This is a lovely thought. You're right--it was the writers who first filled my mind with stories and dreams that made me want to do the same for others. :)

Arlee Bird said...

I never stop pursuing my dreams, or enjoying the dreams that others have dreamed.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Laura Marcella said...

Clara- Hello and welcome to Wavy Lines! Thank you for the kind words! Hope you had a happy weekend. Thanks for stopping by!

Jemi- It sure was a wonderful weekend!

Kathi- It really is a terrific quote. Definitely something to remember! Hope you had a happy fourth, too!

Ali- Same for me! Hope you had a great weekend!

Lee- That's a wonderful way to live!