There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday Quote Day!

Art must take reality by surprise.
{Françoise Sagan}

Whatever you are doing, just dive as deep as you can. That’s the hardest part, to me, of writing. The easiest thing you can do is censor yourself, so I try not to do that.
{Pat Conroy}
I think you find your voice when you quit censoring yourself. It isn’t external. It’s inside you. You find it like a treasure hunt.
{Billy Collins}
I was worried about the book’s ending while I was writing, but I told myself to have faith, and that if I stayed true to the characters, the story would finish itself.
{Elizabeth Strout}
Some who have read the book [The Lord of the Rings], or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.
{J.R.R. Tolkien}
The great character archetypes–Emma Bovary and Leopold Bloom and Raskolnikov–resulted not from their authors’ desire to create archetypes, but from their desire to create authentic individuals. Similarly, great style tends to be a result, not a cause. Style happens while we attend to other, more important matters.
{Peter Selgin}
For God's sake, do not write about something. Let the writing be the thing itself. Every sentence should be its own evidence.
{Ralph Waldo Emerson}
Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page.
{Cornelia Funke}
Happy October, happy Monday, and happy writing, Zigzaggers!!!
I'm so glad we live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn't it?
{Anne Shirley – L. M. Montgomery}

12 comments:

Valerie Geary said...

Love the Pat Conroy quote, and the Billy Collins one too.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Love the quote by Cornelia Funke!

SP Sipal said...

I like when you do quotes, Laura. The Cornelia Funke one appealed to me as well! :-)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Tolkien got the last laugh, didn't he?

Karen Strong said...

Loved the Elizabeth Strout's quote. And LOL at Tolkien. Feisty he was.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yes, it would be terrible to skip October! :-)

Great quotes, Laura! Happy Monday!

Tara Tyler said...

great quotes!
epecially tolkien =)

Jemi Fraser said...

Of course I adore the Anne quote, but that Sagan quote is awesome too!

Bish Denham said...

Loved the quotes by Tolkien and Emerson! And a year without October would be empty indeed.

Southpaw said...

I love quote day.

Summer Ross said...

Love he Billy Collins quote. thank you for sharing.

I have an award for you.

Laura Marcella said...

Valerie- I like those, too! They would've been good for Banned Books Week, too, to remind us to be true our stories and ourselves and not hold back because of what others might think!

Rachna- So do I! I like the idea that our favorite stories are always with us. :)

Susan- I like finding the quotes, too!

Diane- He sure did! I like Tolkien's quote a lot. It's very true; since we don't like everything we read, we shouldn't expect others to always like everything we write either!

Karen- Hahaha, I like those ones too!

Jennifer- October is one of my favorite months!

Tara- Tolkien's seems to be a favorite from this bunch!

Jemi- Anne has the best quotes!

Bish- It sure would. That's why we should enjoy it while we can!

Southpaw- I'm glad to hear it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :)

Summer- Ooo, fun! Thank you very much. Heading on over to check it out!