There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday Quote Day!

No writers ever forget their first acceptance. One fine day when I was seventeen I had my first, second, and third, all in the same morning’s mail. Oh, I’m here to tell you, dizzy with excitement is no mere phrase.
{Truman Capote}
The first line of a poem is a hawk which won’t let go of its prey.
{Gabriel Preil}
All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.
{F. Scott Fitzgerald}
Effective writing depends on showing through action, dialogue, or detail.
{Olga Litowinsky}
Fine writers should split hairs together, and sit side by side, like friendly apes, to pick the fleas from each other’s prose.
{Logan Pearsall Smith}
A productive writer learns that you can’t wait for inspiration.
{Susan Sontag}
Many a book is chosen by a reader because the title seemed promising.
{Barbara Seuling}
There is no better feeling to me than writing. I love to make a picture come to life and dance under my pen.
{Lolita Prince}
Every word only has to be perfect.
{Ursula Nordstrom}
In composing, as a general rule, run your pen through every other word you have written; you have no idea what vigor it will give to your style.
{Sydney Smith}
Happy Monday and happy writing, Zigzaggers!!!

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I understand Nordstrom's quote all to well!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I like the one about being a productive writer. True, that!

Journaling Woman said...

Oh my I have so many favorites in this bunch. I will always remember my first acceptance (Capote). Every word (does) need to be perfect. Such pressure. Love them all.

T

Lindsay said...

I love all these, but the Lolita Prince one is awesome. That's one of the things I love about writing as well.

Tara Tyler said...

thanks for the inspiration! i'm off to make my words dance =)

Bish Denham said...

I love that one by Fitzgerald. Glub, blub, glub.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Love all the quotes today!

Indigo said...

Great quotes! Loved the Fritzgerald one. Writing does feel a bit like holding your breath. (Hugs)Indigo

LD Masterson said...

Today I needed the Sontag quote.

Rachna Chhabria said...

"There is no better feeling to me than writing. I love to make a picture come to life and dance under my pen."

Love this quote a lot, Laura.

Laura Marcella said...

Alex- Yup, that's a good one! Too true, unfortunately LoL!

Elizabeth- Ooo, I agree!

Teresa- I'm still waiting for that feeling!

Lindsay- I love that one a lot too!

Tara- That's what I like to hear!

Bish- Fitzgerald's quote is a classic!

Diane- Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

Indigo- You're right, it often does!

Linda- I'm glad it inspired you!

Rachna- That one seems to be the most favorite from this bunch. Many writers feel that way I think!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Love these quotes! you always find such good ones! Looking forward to Wednesday's writing prompts!

Laura Marcella said...

Susanna- I love finding great quotes and sharing them with everyone! I'm glad you like them. :)