There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday's Writing Workout!

Ana Porgras
(Romania)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
Write a scene in which your character is mistaken for someone else by a stranger.
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
Write a story from the perspective of a woodland animal during a snowstorm. Too cliché for you? Try it from the POV of a tree or an abandoned cottage.
Burn it up!
Exercise 3
Consider this past holiday season: What was the weirdest gift you received? What was the worst thing you ate? What was the most embarrassing thing that happened, to you or someone else? What was your favorite surprise? Who did you avoid being around? Who avoided being around you? Who were you most looking forward to being with? Write a story incorporating all of these things.
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy writing!!!

9 comments:

Summer Ross said...

ooo- the first one caught my eye. great prompts.

LD Masterson said...

Good exercize tips. Thanks.

Hannah Kincade said...

I like the first one but will try them all, as I often do. :)

Laura Pauling said...

Writing from the pov of an abandoned cottage would be a challenge but honestly? I think it would be fun. :)

Bluestocking said...

Oooh... I use the first one in one of my WIPs. Turned out to be a lot of fun and a great spot for character development. Happy writing!

Bish Denham said...

Your prompts are always so good! I love the second one! I once wrote something from the POV of an orange.

Southpaw said...

The last one would be fun. Happy New Year.

ali cross said...

Check out that picture! I loved the first exercise.

Happy New Year!

Laura Marcella said...

Summer- Thanks! Hope you do the prompt.

Linda- Thanks for stopping by!

Hannah- Yay, I'm glad to hear that!!

Laura- It IS fun! Hope you do the prompt!

Bluestocking- Ooo, good! I'm glad it worked our for you!

Bish- Thanks for saying so! I'm glad you like them. I've written from POVs of fruit too! That's always fun.

Holly- Hope you do the prompt! Happy New Year to you too!

Ali- I know, gymnasts are crazy awesome! Hope you do the prompt. Happy New Year to you too!