There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday's Writing Workout!

Yevgeniya Kanayeva (Russia)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
What is on your character’s grocery receipt? What does this say about him? Take it a step further and compare what's on your character's grocery list to what she actually buys.
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
Think of a time when you ignored or were indifferent to someone. Put yourself in that person’s place. Write how she might think or feel.
Burn it up!
Exercise 3: from Writer’s Digest
Only two weeks into the New Year had passed and Tim had already broken his first resolution: Don't kill anyone. Write this scene.
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy writing!!!

5 comments:

Southpaw said...

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that photo!

I moved my blog, but there is a feed problem with my old blog and the posts aren’t showing up. You can visit my new blog here.

Jen Daiker said...

Me likes your Writer Workouts! With my lack of writing it's really nice to see some HELP!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Bish Denham said...

Another great set of prompts! I like the grocery list one cause I'm so guilty of getting things that aren't on the list. "Oh...do we need chocolate?"

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Number three certainly caught my attention. That was great. A good way to start a suspense. Thanks for the exercises. They help keep my writing sharp.

Laura Marcella said...

Holly- I know, rhythmic gymnasts are crazy flexible! I'm following your new blog added it to my blog roll.

Jen- Thanks! Hope your writing is going well!

Bish- Thank you! LoL, I know what you mean about the grocery list. I don't mind getting something that's not on the list, but I hate it when I do that and then forget something important that was on the list, haha!

Kathi- That one is a cool one. WD has great prompts I like to share with everyone from time to time! Have a great weekend. :)