There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday's Writing Workout!

Sui Lu (China)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
Ask your parents, grandparents, or an elderly neighbor what their favorite singer or band was when they were young. Listen to a few songs. Write about the feelings and thoughts that come to you. Write a scene or story from that time period with your parent or grandparent as the main character.
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
Sharon Creech got the idea for her Newbery Medal-winning novel Walk Two Moons from a Chinese fortune cookie. Order Chinese food this week and write a scene or flash fiction story based on the fortune in the cookie. Maybe it’ll turn into something more!
Burn it up!
Exercise 3
Write a winter story about two estranged people (family, friends, lovers) during an unexpected lightning storm during a blizzard.
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy writing!!!

10 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I love seeing how and where authors came up with their story ideas! :)

Julie said...

I love your writing exercises. You remind me of the fun that can be had with a little imagination workout. :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Man, I wish I was that flexible!!!!!

I still have my last fortune cookie fortune glued by my computer: Your talents will be recognized and rewarded. It hasn't inspired any novel ideas though.

Matthew MacNish said...

Fun times.

Creepy Query Girl said...

All really great excersises! Now I'm hungry for chinese food...

Bluestocking said...

Lots of fun... And I always keep my fortune cookie fortunes. Must go find them.

Journaling Woman said...

These are great ideas. I think I'll try #1.

T

Laura Marcella said...

Laura- I like that too! Authors often share that info on their websites.

Julie- I'm so glad to hear that!! Hope you have fun with the prompts. :)

Stina- You're a talented, smart writer! I'm sure you can come up with something interesting from that fortune message!

Matthew- True dat.

Katie- LoL, now I am too! Hope you come up with some fantastic new ideas you're excited to write about. :)

Bluestocking- Go get those fortune messages! You could have something dazzling.

Teresa- Thanks and have fun!!

Leigh Covington said...

It's pathetic to admit, but I haven't thought of this. Prompts really would be a great exercise and could possibly promote new, fabulous ideas for WIP! Great thinking. It's pathetic how much I pass these up for lack of time. Now I like the idea of thinking of them as exercise and idea makers!

Laura Marcella said...

Leigh- Yes, absolutely! I like to use the ideas and characters I already have to generate new plot or character ideas. And coming up with something for completely new story or novel is great, too! I hope you make time to do some writing prompts/exercises. Good luck and have fun!!