There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wednesday's Writing Workout!

Yevgeniya Kanayeva (Russia)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
Check out the headlines in today’s newspaper or your favorite internet news source and choose one. Without reading the article, write your own story of what happened based only on the clues the headline gives.
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
When was the last time a stranger was unexpectedly kind to you? Write a story that opens with this act of kindness.
Burn it up!
Exercise 3
Imagine your character’s car: the make, model, year, color, and cleanliness (inside and out). What does this say about your character? 
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy writing!!!

10 comments:

Tracy Jo said...

Great prompts! Thank you.

Bluestocking said...

The kindness of strangers always throws me when it happens. I just expect people to be, well, people. That's a good prompt to think about.

Creepy Query Girl said...

awesome excersises as usual!

Clarissa Draper said...

I'm thinking of using number one for my April a to z challenge. Great ideas.

Clarissa Draper said...

I don't know if my comment saved or not but I said that I want to use exercise one for my April's a to z challenge.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I love figuring out what kind of cars my characters drive. I think vehicles are a reflection of characters likes and dislikes. It can show their quirkiness, if they're flamboyant or more conservative. BUT it can also show if they're struggling. How many people are driving a small sedan when they're rather drive a corvette? These things can help you to write 3D characters. Fun!

Laura Marcella said...

Tracy- Hello and welcome to Wavy Lines! I'm glad you like the prompts. Thanks for stopping by and commenting and I appreciate the follow!

Bluestocking- Really? I'm sorry to hear that. :( My experience has been that most people are kind. It just doesn't seem that way because we tend to remember the negative more than the positive. Hope you encounter and recall more kindness in the future and get a great story out of it!

Katie- Thank you!! Hope things are going well with you.

Clarissa- That's weird, it didn't save. Oh well, your follow-up comment saved! That's great. I hope you do!! The April blogfest challenge is coming up so soon.

Kathi- It's a good thing to figure out for kids too. It can be quite telling to know what kind of car a kid dreams about!

Margo Kelly said...

Great post with great prompts!!! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Talli Roland said...

Newspapers are always a big source of inspiration for me. Great exercises.

Laura Marcella said...

Margo- Thanks and you're welcome! Hope you're having a great weekend. :)

Talli- I agree! Sometimes there are things in there too crazy to believe. It's great for writers!