There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday's Writing Workout!

Rebecca Tunney 
(England)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
Write about a character born on February 29. How has this once-every-four-years date effected his birthday celebrations? His life? Was she teased as a child for being only “two” when it’s her 8th birthday?
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
What if, instead of you, your best friend or sibling was married to your current spouse/lover? Write it.
Burn it up!
Exercise 3: from Writer’s Digest
Needing to get something off your chest, you head to the confessional at church. After laying out your misdeed to the priest, you are given an unusual task to perform as penance–not creepy, just unusual. Write this scene.
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy Leap Day and Happy writing!!!

17 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Ooh, I like the third one. Or what if you gave the confessional and it wasn't the priest who gave you the task, but someone you thought was the priest.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I LOVE Laura's suggestion for #3. That could be hilarious. :D

Stephen Tremp said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll write something today. Not sure what. But something.

Matthew MacNish said...

That confessional one is seriously awesome.

Bluestocking said...

I have to agree with the others. The third prompt wins hands down. The 2nd is just creepy. Happy writing!

Tara Tyler said...

i'd either write about a "3yo" who wont get to drink on her 21st bday or a 49 yo cougar who calls herself jailbait!

fun!

Medeia Sharif said...

Happy Leap Day!

These prompts inspire me. :)

Shelley Sly said...

The third one has some great possibilities! I mean, you wouldn't want to disappoint a priest, so of course you'd do whatever he told you to do... right? What if it was something silly like the Hokey Pokey? "Put your left foot in, or else you aren't forgiven!"

ali cross said...

I can practically hear you shouting "feel the burn!"

Laura Marcella said...

Laura- That would be interesting! Kind of like that part in The Mask of Zorro with Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta Jones!

Stina- It sure could be! People who write mysteries or horror could make it suspenseful or scary, too.

Stephen- I sure hope you do!!

Matthew- That seems to be consensus today!

Bluestocking- Haha, thanks!

Tara- Oooo, those are good characters for that prompt!

Medeia- I'm happy to hear that! Hope you're having a great week!

Shelley- LoL, that would be so great especially for a MG story!

Ali- You know it!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The second one would make me feel too jealous!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Hehe, cute analogy! You know, I tend to write on multiple WIP's at the same time so I can always switch up and keep myself "limber" LOL

Talli Roland said...

LOVE the first one. The whole leap year thing is so intriguing.

Laura Marcella said...

Alex- I hear you, good thing it's only fiction!

Lindsay- Absolutely!! Part of the fun of writing is the ability to work on different projects. :)

Talli- I agree! It's pretty awesome we get an extra day every four years to make our dreams come true. :)

Leigh Covington said...

I'm terrible with prompts. I wish I were better with them because I think you're right - they keep us exercising!

Laura Marcella said...

Leigh- You should try them! Some people do timer prompts, such as spending only 5 or 10 minutes on one prompt, for instance. That might work for you!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great ideas! So funny - I've hd the Feb. 29 birthday idea in my head ever since Wednesday because someone I know had a baby that day and I kept thinking, there has to be a PB in this somewhere... but I haven't figured out where yet!