There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Quote Day!

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.  
{Ray Bradbury}
If you're a singer you lose your voice. A baseball player loses his arm. A writer gets more knowledge and, if he's good, the older he gets the better he writes.
{Mickey Spillane}
There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.
{Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith}
Writing is a craft before it is an art.
{Donald M. Murray}
…the idea [must be] tall enough to be made into a book.
{Lee Wyndham} 
The work of art as completely realized is the result of a long and complex process of exploration.
{Joyce Cary}
You can never know enough about your characters.
{W. Somerset Maugham}
The first lines of a story teach us how to read it.
{John L’Heureux}
A plot is what happens when there is a problem that needs solving.
{Jean E. Karl}
A book should end with the unexpected expected.
{Jane Yolen}
Happy Monday and happy writing, Zigzaggers!!!

19 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

Great quotes! Thanks for the inspiration on a Monday. :D

Laura Pauling said...

Those quotes should be included in a writer's 101! :)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Loving Ray and Mickey and Jane this morning!

Journaling Woman said...

I'm liking Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith's quote. Writing does take the life from you. :)

T

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I always love reading your quotes - they are so true and thought-provoking and always speak to me as a writer! Thanks for another great list :)

Cristina said...

"The first lines of a story teach us how to read it."

I love love love this so much. It's so true.. hmm now I want to go think about my first lines.... and maybe adjust them a little.

Tracy Jo said...

Awesome quotes! Have a great week!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A plot is when a problem needs solving - I like that one.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love Mickey's quote.

I'm off now to open a vein. :D

Clarissa Draper said...

Thanks for the encouraging quotes to start my writing week!

Bish Denham said...

What I'd like to know is how much time you spend finding these quotes, where you get them and how you remember which ones you've used!

I like the first one, from Ray Bradbury.

Bluestocking said...

I really like the quote about how the first line sets up the readers' expectations for the rest of the book. So true!

Talli Roland said...

Love that one by Murray. So true!

Tara Tyler said...

opening a vein about sums it up!
thanks!

Susan Fields said...

Great quotes - as always!

MTeacress said...

I like the singer/baseball player quote today. :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Great quotes!

Karen Strong said...

As always great quotes. I can depend on you to bring me some good stuff. :)

Love the Mickey Mickey Spillane one.

Laura Marcella said...

Hello, everyone! Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I'm glad you all like the quotes. So many quotes for writers by writers inspire, encourage, and motivate me so much and I hope the ones I post on my blog do the same for you. Hope you all have a terrific week!