There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wednesday's Writing Workout!

Charlotte McKenna
(Ireland)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
Your character wants to set a Guinness World Record. What kind of record does he want? Is she willing to do anything to get it?
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Write a story in which the character follows it to a disastrous end. Now what is the worst advice you’ve ever received? Write a story in which the character follows it to a triumphant end.
Burn it up!
Exercise 3
What was your favorite neighborhood game as a child (tag, hide and seek, kick the can…)? Write a scene about this game, who is playing and what happens, but don’t name the game until the end of the story.
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy writing!!!

12 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Your ramp it up exercises are always the best. That's a brilliant idea for a scene. :D

Shelley Sly said...

I like Exercise 1. I write about kids, and I remember as a nerdy kid myself, I always wanted to set some kind of Guinness World Record. I can just imagine the records my characters want to set. Thanks for the good idea!

Julie Dao said...

I love number 3! My favorite childhood game of ALL time was flashlight tag, played in the dark. What can I say, I lived on the dangerous side...

Creepy Query Girl said...

I actually discoverd a cute piece of advice this morning about writing an important or exciting scene (ie kissing scene) between your characters to get to know them better. I thought that was a great idea!

Jemi Fraser said...

I loved hide and seek as a kid - we played in the whole neighbourhood. One girl's yard had a lot of space - and bats! It was great ;)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Great exercises again this week, Laura! My student teacher visits every Wednesday for ideas! :-)

Clarissa Draper said...

I like #3, it really forces you to work on description. Thanks for these weekly prompts.

Also, thanks for your wonderful support, loved your comment. And thanks for adding my book to your blog-buddy pages. I never knew it was here. I can now know where to come to keep up with new releases. Thanks again.

Laura Marcella said...

Stina- That's good! I don't plan it that way but I'm glad you like them. :)

Shelley- You're welcome! I thought MG writers might like that one. :)

Julie- Ooo, you played it risky! Flashlight tag was one of my favorites, too. I also liked freeze tag!

Katie- That is a really great idea! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try that.

Jemi- Hide-and-Seek is a classic! It's such a good one that can played indoors and outside.

Shannon- Thanks for sending her to my blog! I hope she's getting some good ideas and the kids are enjoying the prompts. :)

Clarissa- You're welcome! I like promoting my blog buddies whenever I can. That page gets a lot of hits, too! Everyone's looking for great new reads. :)

Talli Roland said...

Oh, I'd love to write about the worst advice!

Misha Gericke said...

Oooh some more excellent writing prompts. :-D

Jolene Perry said...

These are always so fun :-D

Laura Marcella said...

Talli- Go for it!! It's one that could be serious or funny!

Misha- Thanks! I'm glad you like them.

Jolene- Thank you! I have fun making them up and then doing them myself. :)