There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Voyage

Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.
{E. L. Doctorow}
The first steps in the journey are always the most difficult to take.
{Sarah Ban Breathnach}
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure. The very cave you are afraid to enter turns out to be the the source of what you are looking for. The damned thing in the cave that was so dreaded has become the center.
{Joseph Campbel}
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit.
{Helen Keller}
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.
{Ursula K. LeGuin}
Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
{E. L. Doctorow}
For me, writing is exploration and most of the time, I'm surprised where the journey takes me.
{Jack Dann}
Luck may happen to you along your voyage, but you cannot count on it to fill your sail.
{Dia Calhoun}
Writing is a process, a journey into memory and the soul.
{Isabel Allende}
What has been your most memorable adventure on this writing voyage?
Happy Wednesday and happy writing, Zigzaggers!

21 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Great quotes! I like the one about the headlights. I've heard that before. I might have an idea of landmarks up ahead, but I can't see them properly and not sure where they are. This is a fun blog. Thanks for stopping by mine! :)

Journaling Woman said...

I really like this. "Writing is a process, a journey into memory and the soul." We should always dig before we write.

LD Masterson said...

My favorite - The pessimist may be proved right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time in the trip.

Steph Sessa said...

My fave is definitely the one about the headlights, because that's how I feel all the time, but it's good to know I can still make it to the end!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Laura. These are all great quotes.

Lauren S. said...

I love the E.L. Doctorow quotes. That's how I feel most of the time while writing. :)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

What a great list of quotes! And so true. Thanks for sharing.

Julie Dao said...

I loooooove the Helen Keller quote - how beautiful is that! And I've been meaning to read Ursula Leguin's books for a long time! Great quotes as always!

Tracy said...

Writing most certainly is a voyage and all that goes with it. My most memorable part was when my book was published in Oct., and I went to my home state of Ohio and had two book signings. It was thrilling and fun and memorable! I saw friends from childhood, former teachers, students, college friends and I think I was on Cloud 9 for months afterward!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I loved your quotes. Thanks for visiting my blog and complimenting the artwork and my excerpt.

DL Hammons said...

I guess my most memorable adventure so far would be the three writing conferences I've attended and the fellow writers/bloggers I've met in person. I know, not very sexy, but hey...I'm just getting started! :)

mshatch said...

most memorable is the people I've met, both virtually and for real. Awesome peeps.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

What a terrific conglomeration of quotes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I do appreciate it, and figured I'd do a quick fly-by to return the favor. Count me in as your newest follower. Good luck with the rest of the A-Z. (Almost done!!!)

Karen Walker said...

Hi Laura,
Love these quotes. I love the LeGuin one about it being the journey that matters. I forget that sometimes.
Karen

Clarissa Draper said...

I find writing is much easier and less of a job when you enjoy each step of the journey.

jan said...

I love quotes! "Imagination is more important than knowledge."--Albert Einstein.

Thanks for stopping by "begin...begin again". Just a couple more letters to go!

Cherie Reich said...

Wonderful quotes. I really love the Ursula K. LeGuin one, although it is really nice to finish that novel even though the journey can be the difficult part. :)

Lily Tequila said...

These quotes are a welcome perk! I love the Joseph Campbell best, I think. My best adventure on the A-Z was the post I didn't know I was going to write, on the letter J :-)

Jess said...

Ooh these are wonderful quotes!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Following along :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

You always find such awesome quotes! Thanks for sharing :)

Laura Marcella said...

Hello, everyone!!! Thank you so much for all of your comments! Hello to the new Zigzaggers!! I really appreciate you following my blog and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Wishing all of you many wonderful adventures on your writing journey!

Love,
Laura