There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wednesday's Writing Workout!


Tatiana Nabieva (Russia)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
Author R.L. Stine says he comes up with the title first and then writes a book that fits the title. Try it! Think of a catchy title first and then write a flash fiction or short story from it–or if you’re really brave, a novel!
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
Turn on the radio (or the shuffle mode on your CD player or iPod) and write a story inspired by the first song you hear.
Burn it up!
Exercise 3
You know those pages in the beginning of books that list everything the author has written? Write your own list (even if you’ve been published)! Include all the books/stories/articles/poems/everything you have written, are writing, will write. If you don’t have titles yet, make up temporary titles for the list. Post it somewhere you can see it every day and make that list come true! (I’ve already done this. It’s a terrific motivator!)
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy writing!!!

12 comments:

Em-Musing said...

LOve #3. I think when we can visualize success...it happens!

Clarissa Draper said...

I like #1. Sometimes I come up with the title and then work off that the rest of the book.

LD Masterson said...

I'd like to try number one. But I'm bound and determined to get this re-write finished before I do any other writing.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I've heard that about Stine before - very cool idea.

And #3 reminds me of a vision board kind of exercise. :)

Laurel Garver said...

I love the two story ideas. I think working in a little flash fiction here and there really does keep you limber. My problem is finding a small enough idea to keep compact. Thanks!

The titles list is pretty motivating, too. It's helpful both to remind ourselves where we have achieved and where our goals are leading.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Love these ideas, especially #3. Thanks!

Summer Ross said...

Number 3 sounds fantastic!

Bluestocking said...

Titles are so hard for me. Maybe prompt 1 would be a good way to get over that feeling!

Dana said...

I love number 2. Thanks!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Laura .. good ideas - my blog posts .. I usually have the idea - which gets titled, then the actual title probably appears on the day of posting ..

Exercise is a good one - long walks and let the air flow through the brain .. a good writing workout.

Cheers Hilary

Misha Gericke said...

Excellent exercises! I especially like 2 and 3. :-)

Laura Marcella said...

Em- I believe that, too!!

Clarissa- I've come up with a bunch for flash fiction stories and I'm practicing that way. We'll see how it goes!!

LD- I'm wishing you lots of luck with your rewrites!!

Madeline- I have my list on my vision board! :)

Laurel- Absolutely!

Tyrean- You're very welcome!!

Summer- Thanks!!

Bluestocking- Titles are hard for me, too. It's a great exercise to practice!

Dana- You're very welcome!!

Hilary- I usually come up with my blog post titles after I've written the post! You're right, exercise is a great way to get the ideas flowing.

Misha- Thanks! I'm glad you like them. :)