There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Friday, November 9, 2012

Revisited: Lousy Writing Days vs. Lovely Writing Days

MorgueFile.com

I believe that what we want to write wants to be written. I believe that as I have an impulse to create, the something I want to create has an impulse to want to be born. My job, then, is to show up on the page and let that something move through me.
{Julia Cameron}

Have you ever had a marvelous writing day and wondered what would’ve happened if you hadn’t shown up on the page that day? So often I’ll have a great writing day followed by an atrocious day followed by an okay day following by a fabulous writing day and on and on. My writing days are never consistently bad (thank goodness!!!) but they’re not consistently marvelous either (bummer, dude). 

On those awful days when I’m banging my head on the desk and wailing staring at a blank sheet of paper and sighing, I wonder why the heck I even try doing this. Then a magical writing day comes along, one filled with beaming rays of golden sunshine, whistling birds cleaning house and cooking dinner, and leprechauns filling my purse with gold! On those days, I remember why it’s important to show up on the page every day, especially after terrible writing days. 

Being a real writer means being able to do the work on a bad day.
{Norman Mailer}

I think the hard writing days teach me the most about writing. Some of my better writing has appeared when writing is like trying to make a child choose salad over cupcakes. Of course, I never see the tasty morsels until the following day. Though I desperately want to shred or delete my writing after a bad day, I’m glad I don’t! 

I’m convinced that marvelous writing days wouldn’t happen without those dreadful writing days. What if I didn’t continue writing through a bad day or what if I didn't write at all the day after? I’d miss out on a lot of interesting ideas and magical writing I didn’t know was in me.

If only we could give ourselves permission to write ‘badly,’ so many of us would write very well indeed.
{Julia Cameron}

What are your writing days like? Do you struggle to continue writing through the bad days? Are you grateful for those lousy writing days if it means you'll have lovely writing days, too? 

Have a wonderful weekend, Zigzaggers! Wishing you an abundance of lovely writing days!!

11 comments:

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Laura,
It's revision time for me and that's going well. I think the fact that I write in spurts keeps me from having days when I can't write even if I try. For reasons I haven't figured out yet, I take breaks from writing and when I get back to it, the words flow nicely.

Em-Musing said...

When inspiration hits,I fly with it. It's always editing that bogs me down.

mooderino said...

I try to remind myself during the bad days that I've been here before and it turned around then, and will do again. Sometimes hard to convince myself though.

mood
Moody Writing

Stina Lindenblatt said...

This is like the running high. Most days you won't experience it. But when you do, it makes all those other days worth it. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Usually the days I least want to write produce the best stuff.

Rachna Chhabria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachna Chhabria said...

Its rewriting time for me and it sucks big time. I have made so many mistakes, too much exposition to delete, too much passive voice to eliminate. Sigh.

Laurel Garver said...

The bad days usually come when I don't have a clear enough picture of how a scene fits or why it is important. Sometimes I plow ahead in agony, other times I do something else productive, like outlining what I've already written, search for threads I want to pick up, or research something I might include in future chapters.

Laura Marcella said...

Joy- That's a great way to approach it! Good luck with your revisions.

Em- Editing can be overwhelming!

Mood- I know exactly what you mean.

Stina- That is so true!

Diane- It's funny how that happens!

Rachna- I hear you! I'm sure it's going a lot better than you think. Good luck!!

Laurel- Those are good ways to get though it!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Mine are always a mix - more hard writing days than good ones, but the good days give you hope! I wihs there was some magical way to make everyday easy, fun and productive! :)

Laura Marcella said...

Susanna- If you discover such a way, please share!! :)