There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What’s Up Wednesday! and My 2014 AtoZ Blogging Challenge Theme

What’s Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop to keep in touch with other writers on this writing journey. Check it out on Jaime Morrow’s blog here if you’d like to take part, too!

What I’m reading... 

Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro
I’ve read many of Alice Munro’s short story collections, but it wasn’t until she won the 2013 Nobel Prize in Literature that I learned she’d written a novel. I had to get my hands on it!

Just Kids by Patti Smith
This one appealed to me since I’ve known my two best friends (one of whom is my husband) since we were kids. None of us have become famous though...yet! ;) But we're famous in each other's lives. :)

What I’m writing... I’m finishing up novella #2, getting ready for novella #3, and working on short stories.

What inspires me right now... I'm inspired by my 9-year-old nephew who won a writing contest at his school. I'm a proud auntie!!

What else I’ve been up to... Are you doing the A to Z Blogging Challenge? It starts this upcoming Tuesday, April 1, and there’s still time to sign up! Click here to find out what blogging from A to Z is all about. If you want to participate, click here for the sign-up list.

My 2014 A to Z theme is The Writer’s Inspiration! I made my posts short and sweet this year: each post will be a sentence or two on how a writer got the idea for one of his or her books. Your job is to guess (asking a friend or searching the internet is okay, too!) both the book and the author in the comments...and there's a prize, woohoo! The post title isn’t necessarily a clue. Actually, I think it’s a clue only five or six times. 

I have a fun gift package for the winner! If there’s a tie, I’ll write the names on paper, put in a bowl, and have my husband pick one. You have one day to give your answer in the comments; I’ll reveal each day’s book and author on the following day. For each correct answer you’ll receive a point. Whoever receives the most points is the winner!

I hope you know your books and authors! It’s going to be fun!

What are you reading and writing? What inspires you right now? What shenanigans are you up to? Are you participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge?

I hope you’re having a wonderful week, Zigzaggers!! HAPPY SPRING!!!

26 comments:

Laura Clipson said...

That's a great theme, it sounds like a lot of fun :)

Laura Pauling said...

Sounds like a fun challenge! you're smart to keep them nice and short! Have fun with it!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I like your A-Z theme and prizes helps catch anyone's attention. Getting ready for novel #3, congrats girl!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That will be fun and challenging!

Teresa Powell Coltrin said...

I LOVE your theme. Can't wait to read your posts.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Laura .. sounds like fun - I'm sure I'll be hopeless ... but I do get the answers eventually don't I! Also other commenters are good at guessing 'right' ...

I'll enjoy these - cheers Hilary

Kate Scott said...

I love your idea for A to Z. I've done it a few times in the past, but decided to sit out this year. Mainly because if I did A to Z again, I figured I'd end up writing identical posts to what I'd written before. Your guessing game sounds fresh and fun. I think I might have to visit your blog 26 times in April.

Laurel Garver said...

Your A-Z theme sounds awesome. I'm diving in this year, too. Super nervous about it, in fact!

Carrie-Anne said...

That sounds like a fun theme. It must've taken awhile to put together.

Jaime Morrow said...

Your A to Z theme is really cool! I've done the challenge a time or two and had tons of fun, but I just didn't have time this year.

As a Canadian, I feel like I should probably have stumbled across Alice Munro's stuff in school at some point (we do a lot of Canadian content, and I even took a Canadian Lit course in university), but for some odd reason I've never read anything by her. When she won the Nobel last year, I made a note that I need to read some of her work.

Hope you're having a great week writing-wise and otherwise!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

What an interesting theme. Very cool. I'm so ready for spring. I saw three fat robins in my backyard standing in the newly fallen snow.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We'll have to bring our brains for your theme!

Jess said...

Your theme sounds so fun! :) Good luck with novella #3!

Laurel said...

Great idea for the AtoZ! I'd never heard of that before today. Now it's got me thinking what I'd do with it. Thanks for sharing!!!

amy said...

Your A to Z challenge sounds like a lot of fun. I've never done an A-Z Challenge before but this year I'm giving it a shot. Good luck with your novella. Have a great weekend!

Angel Leigh said...

I'm doing the A-Z blogging challenge. My theme is Writing stuff, mainly characters. First time too so hopefully it goes okay.



Sophia L said...

Your A-Z Challenge sounds like a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Have a great week!

Erin L. Funk said...

Your A-Z Challenge theme is such a creative idea! Congratulations to your nephew on winning his writing contest. It's awesome to hear about kids that are developing a love of writing. Best of luck working on those novellas!

Katy Upperman said...

Best of luck with the A-Z Challenge! I did it a few years ago and while it was A LOT of work, it was also tons of fun. I discovered so many fantastic new blogs through it! Have a great week, lady!

jenniferpickrell said...

That's great about your nephew! I recently saw a video of my 11-year-old cousin with her band. They play their own instruments and performed an original song and it's so awesome to see creative kids.

Misha Gericke said...

That's a great theme.

Me... no. Just... either going to be doing epic battle with the pub house, or I'll be doing camp NaNo.

T. Drecker said...

Congratulations to your nephew! Sounds like you're writing away. I love your theme for A-Z, and will be stopping by.

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

I'm doing the A to Z challenge, too, but I don't have a theme. It's just going to be random! Thanks for stopping by!

Jo said...

Sounds like fun. Not sure I am up to the challenge though.

Li said...

Short and sweet - I like it! Yep, I'm ready to go for the A to Z!

Kris Atkins said...

I'm so impressed by all of the people who participate in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. Kudos to you and good luck!